Hello to fans in Russia! Be sure to visit me on Tumblr at Black Beauty Now. And rate the runway shows! A few natural hair celebrities: Esperanza Spalding, Corinne Bailey Rae, Jill Scott, India Arie.

Wednesday

Good Hair

Anybody watch Chris Rock's documentary film, Good Hair, released in 2009? I think that one struck a nerve with some of my Ebony sisters. I thought it was hilarious and allowed us to take a closer, humorous look at that huge elephant in the room, our hair!

It appears that the majority of Black women who are mostly of African descent have naturally coarse hair. Men do too, but my focus here is on the females. Through the years we ladies have altered the texture or appearance of our hair, to conform with that of the majority, at least here in America.

Today, the typical Black female chooses to wear her hair chemically altered (relaxer), straightened (per hot combs), with extensions, covered with a wig or hairpiece, or a combination of some of these. I see very few of us wearing our hair in its natural state, in some form of the "Afro" or "natural" style (as was popular in the 1960's and 1970's).

Why is this? I don't know. And I'm not real sure why we are so sensitive about it. I am of mixed heritage, mostly African. So my hair is coarse or kinky, whatever you choose to call it, in its natural state. I define natural state as what my hair looks like immediately following a shampoo and drying. There is no confusion in the resulting appearance. That's just what it is. Adding a little hair oil before combing does help make it a bit more manageable. But without following that up with some kind of straightening process, I would definitely stand out in a crowd.

And I do feel that most of us have much Black pride in and love for ourselves and each other. But then there's that contradiction when it comes to our hair. We seem to do whatever we can not to embrace one of the features that should help define our beauty--our own HAIR! And we are extremely sensitive about this issue and about discussing it. In fact, it's one of those subjects which is rarely discussed at all, not even among ourselves.

I thoroughly enjoyed the interview, when Chris Rock appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show soon after the movie, Good Hair, aired. The discussion was lighthearted, humorous, and lively. I only wish I had recorded it.

Much love to all natural and enhanced sisters!

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, ask a question...